Monday 25 April 2016

CREATING RUBRICS TO EVALUATE OUR E-PROJECT


Hello everyone!

After overcoming a great number of challenges and beginning to prepare our own collaborative e-project, it is time now to create something to evaluate them. If you follow this blog or my peers’ work, you will know that in a previous task we evaluated an e-project using different rubrics provided by our teacher. But this time was different since we had to create our own rubric!


And... what is a rubric? It is a sort of assessing in which you find standards and criteria that a teacher follows to evaluate the degree of achievement of the objectives in an objective way. So, taking this definition into account, our challenge consisted on developing some standards and criteria to evaluate our own collaborative e-project.
First of all, I decided to prepare a draft so as to know which criteria I would like to include and the different degrees of achievement. I thought that it would be really difficult but, as our teacher had provided us with many examples and rubrics that she uses to evaluate our challenges, I realized that I know what I want to highlight and assess.
After developing all the points, it was time to look for an online tool to create the rubric. Mª Jesús had recommended us the tool QuickRubric so I decided to make a start there. I have to say that the tool honour’s its name since, after logging in, it only took me a few minutes to create my online rubric because it is really intuitive and easy to use. If you want to know how it works, you only have to follow the steps I explain here:


1. The first step is to log in. For that, you only need to click on "Log in", at the top right corner (1). Then, a new option will emerge, if you are new you have to click on "I'm a new user" (2)

2 When you are logged in you only need to click in “Create my Rubric” and you will see a screen like this:

 As you can see, you can add all your topics and criteria, the score of each standard...and so on. 


3 The second step will be adapt the rubric to your necessities by adding rows and columns clicking on the section: “Add Row” or “Add Column” (picture 1). You can also eliminate rows if you click on the red cross (picture 2).

Picture 1

Picture 2

4 When you have finished your work, you only have to click on “Save Rubric” and that's all! Your rubric is already done.


As you can see, it is really easy to create your own rubric but, as every tool, QuickRubric has also drawbacks. In this case, I would like to point out that the tool doesn't allow you to obtain an embed code, it only provides you with a public link. To overcome this problem, my classmate Laura suggested us to download the rubric as PDF and upload it to Drive, by doing that, you can obtain the embed code and share it with others.
From my own experience, I recommend you to create this sort of assessment so as to adapt them to every context and student. In education, rubrics are effective and adequate because every student receives feedback by looking which elements of his/her work needs to be improved or are developed in a correct way. As teachers, we have to consider the evaluation as an opportunity for the student to keep learning together with our own development as professionals.
Finally, here I leave you my rubric in case you want to have a look or even use it to evaluate an e-project. If you have any comment our suggestion, do not hesitate to comment!



See you in the next post,
Ana.

No comments:

Post a Comment